I suggest you ...

Allow Percentage Complete to be entered manually

As it stands, CentriQS automatically calculates the percentage complete only based upon time or you can show the column which will show the percentage complete. This is based solely on time that has elapsed and in no way indicates the physical work done. In other words it just like a watch.

Now, let's assume that you have allocated 10 days on a task and 6 days have elapsed. this would translate to 60% which could erroneously imply, to the owner of the task (not the assignee), that progress on the task is 60 %. However, the assignee may have done literaly nothing at 60 % time elapsed. If, at 60 % time elapsed, the assignee had progressed to 90 %, that would indicate couple of things amongst which could be: (i) the assignee is extremely efficient, (ii) the estimated time was too long, (iii) the task was too easy, etc. The first one (i) would ordinarily indicate high performance on the side of the assignee and the owner could consider a bonus or something.

The reverse of the argument would most probably indicate the reverse of Items (i) to etc.

Also if the owner of the task say at 60 % in accordance with CentriQS requests the assignee to brief him about the progress attained, a lot of embarrassment or excitement may occur depending whether the assignee is ahead or behind.

In summary, it is a known and established fact that time and physical performance cannot lie on the same line. That is why in a management software, you have to allow the user to indicate the physical progress and such would be compared with the time elapsed and in CentriQS case, the percentage complete.

I therefore suggest that you allow a user to input Percentage Complete manually but also keep the time tracking progress (percentage) as it is currently. This would indicate, to the task owner as well as the assignee, that either the task is or is not at risk. At the present moment, risk is only based upon time.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Baliso VubaBaliso Vuba shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex HorwitzAlex Horwitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see the % Complete field be user-enterable. As pointed out, in a number of major methodologies, the task owner is asked to provide his/her estimate of the work complete. This has NOTHING to do with time spent or time remaining. It is an estimate of WORK complete. I don't need to explain the further use of the parameter, but it is critical to many systems. In fact, Centriqs is of no use to our business without it. VIP Task Manager is a better tool!

• Baliso VubaBaliso Vuba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note my typing error on the second line of Item 1. There should not be - between ) and Estimate but a / for division.

Allow me to thank you for the response to my previous comment.

1. I would first like to note that you did in fact realize that there is a slight problem with the current way of calculating % Complete. That is {(Estimate - Remain) - Estimate}*100. It is not necessary to reflect the potential error by sample data since it is clear and I accept that. Is it then necessary to keep a formula that may result in an incorrect answer? I suggest that this be eliminated.

By way of illustration, I used a dummy data to illustrate that if you keep the % Complete as it is in the program, it could be programmed as indicated below. I can share the formula with you. In fact it's very simple.

Estimate Remain % Complete
    10 10 0%
    10 9 10%
    10 8 20%
    10 7 30%
    10 6 40%
    10 5 50%
    10 4 60%
    10 3 70%
    10 2 80%
    10 1 90%
    10 0 100%
    10 1 110%
    10 2 120%
    10 3 130%
    10 4 140%
    10 5 150%
    10 6 160%
    10 7 170%
    10 8 180%
    10 9 190%
    10 10 200%

The above data would show both the Task Owner and the Assignee that the task was finished after 20 days and the percentage is OK (200 %). This is just food for thought! In this instance, you may not need to introduce another variable called Current Estimate since the above formula would be indicating to all what is the time status of the task.

2. I accept and appreciate the fact that you will introduce what you term Current Estimate. I suspect that it also would need to be put under rigorous data assessment. By that I mean one must test it under different situations to ensure that it will not end up being like the current % Complete.

3. If the Assignee is allowed to input what he estimate to be the physical percentage progress (call it Physical % Complete), then one is able to look at two performance measuring variables. One being Time related whereas the other one would be Assignee related. This way, the task owner is able to make a decision based on resource reallocation since he would be able to see the Time and Physical variables simultaneously.

Let's assume for a moment that the Physical % inserted by the Assignee is 60 and the Time % is 40. The data that can be extracted from this is multifaceted and can include the following:
    3.1 The task is 40 % completed (60 + 40)/2=50 or
    3.2 The Task Owner can immediately reduce the Estimate to be in line with the average % estimate.
    3.3 etc

In summary, I agree that the Time based % Complete is necessary but kindly look at the data provided above and please provide your response. It is also necessary to allow the user (Assignee) to insert Physical % Progress which will be a concurrent variable measuring the performance towards finishing the task.

Thank you very much for the interaction and I look forward to reading your response.

• CentriqsAdminCentriqs (Admin, CentriQS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Historically CentriQS had ‘Estimate’ and ‘Remain’ fields only (at least it was enough for some agile project management techniques) and ‘Complete %’ field was added at that period, so the formula of calculating completion could operate with existing fields only. Formula ((Estimate – Remain) / Estimate) * 100 allows making simple calculation that if task was planned for 8 hours and I feel that 4 hours remained till its completion this means that I did half the job (50%). Basically ‘Complete %’ field is a simple visualization that allows users understand how much is done and how much should be done without making calculations in mind.

After ‘Actual’ field was added, CentriQS gained the possibility to make current estimation, i.e. if ‘Estimate’ fields is a kind of “baseline duration”, then the total of ‘Remain’ and ‘Actual’ fields is a kind of ‘Current Estimate’ (by the way we plan to add such column in one of the nearest updates). It is no secret that tasks often take more or less time than it was originally planned, so having ‘Current Estimate’ makes task tracking more accurate. Moreover, the additional formula (Actual / (Actual + Remain)) * 100 will make calculation of ‘Complete %’ value more accurate as well because it will base on up-to-date information.

We hope we explained how formula {(Estimate - Remain)/Estimate}*100 appeared and what its goal is. If not please let us know.

1.1 Yes, ‘Estimate’ can be filled in by task owner, if the owner knows better than task executor how much the task should take, or the owner wants the executor to complete the task within a certain time frame even if executor thinks it is impossible. Alternatively, task owner can assign the task to executor leaving the estimated duration unset if owner understands that executor knows better how much time the task will take. We recommend owners to discuss how much time required for the task with executors and then input the value. In this case executor becomes more responsible for closing the task within agreed time period.

1.2 In many cases, yes, it happens exactly as you say, however according to some approaches and methodologies like SCRUM, executor may even not take into account the amount of work done already, but focus on estimation of time needed to complete the task. For example, “burndown chart” works pretty well without actual duration.

May I thank you for your comment.

In order to respond intelligently to your comment, I would like to take it one step at a time and comment as follows:
    1. The Formula % Complete ={(Estimate - Remain)/Estimate}*100 needs clarity or perhaps I can tell you my understanding.
    1.1 Estimate is what the owner of the task inputs.
    1.2 Remain is what the assignee inputs after having gauged the amount of work done already on the task versus that which still needs to be done.

Kindly advise whether this interpretation is correct before I proceed with my submission.

Thanks.

• CentriqsAdminCentriqs (Admin, CentriQS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Let us clarify how the field “% Complete” is filled in. You are right that this field is calculated automatically, however it doesn’t depend on time elapsed. In CentriQS % Complete is not a stand alone field, it depends on task duration fields Estimate and Remain.

The formula is: % Complete = (Estimate – Remain) / Estimate * 100

For example, you set estimated duration 8 hours, then you spent 4 hours on the task and think that you need 4 hours to complete the task, so you enter 4 hours into Remain field and the program calculates % Complete as (8-4)/8*100=50%. When you work on the task for another 2 hours and think that you need 2 hours to complete the task, you will enter 2 into the Remain field and the program will recalculate the % Complete as (8-2)/8*100=75%, etc.

The problem is in the situation when you think that you will need more time than it was initially estimated. And this situation happens pretty often.

For example, you set estimated duration 8 hours, then you spent 8 hours on the task and think that you need 8 hours more to complete the task. The formula above will not work here, so…

We decided to add another formula: % Complete = Actual / (Actual + Remain) * 100

For example, you set estimated duration 8 hours, then you spent 8 hours on the task and entered actual duration 8 hours, but you think that you need 8 hours more to complete the task, so you enter remaining duration 8 hours and the program will calculate the % Complete as 8/(8+8)*100=50% and it will be true because if you spent 8 hours and need 8 hours more, then your task is 50% complete.

Now let’s consider the possibility of entering % Complete manually taking into account that % Complete is not a standalone task parameter (for this purpose users can simply add a custom field) but it works together with task duration fields.

For example, you set estimated duration 8 hours, then you work over the task and think it is 50% complete, you enter 50% and the program calculates actual duration is 4 hours and remaining duration 4 hours. But what if you come to conclusion that you need 8 hours more… How will you do this by entering % Complete manually?

Feedback and Knowledge Base